Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th Fun!

Happy 4th of July Everyone!!

I think that we all, as military spouses and S/O's, can take a certain pride on this particular day as we celebrate the Independence of our wonderful country. My husband is out to sea right now, and while I have a fervent wish in a deep corner of my heart that he could be here with us, that we could do normal things that other families are doing today....cook-outs, sand and sun, and fireworks, I don't regret the sacrifices that we are making to help 'Freedom Ring' in this wonderful country of ours. I pray that we as a country can continue to be grateful, and not take for granted, the wonderful freedoms we are allowed every day.

I wanted to find a fun thing to post to celebrate the day, and I stumbled across this poem, and thought it was great:

The American Boy

By Author Unknown

SON:
Father, look up, and see that flag!
How gracefully it flies!
Those pretty stripes, they seem to be
A rainbow in the skies.

FATHER:
It is your country's flag, my boy,
And proudly drinks the light,
O'er ocean's wave, in foreign climes,
A symbol of our might.

SON:
Father, what fearful noise is that,
Now thundering in the clouds?
Why do they, cheering, wave their hat,
And rush along in crowds?

FATHER:
It is the voice of cannonry,
The glad shouts of the free;
This is a day of memory,
'Tis FREEDOM'S JUBILEE!

SON:
I wish that I was now a man,
I'd free my country too,
And cheer as loudly as the rest;
But, father, why don't you?

FATHER:
I'm getting old and weak; but still
My heart is big with joy;
I've witnessed many a day like this,
Shout you aloud, my boy!

SON:
HURRAH, FOR FREEDOM'S JUBILEE,
God bless our native land!
And may I live to hold the boon
Of freedom in my hand.

FATHER:
Well done, my boy, grow up, and love
The land that gave you birth,—
A land where Freedom loves to dwell,—

A paradise on earth.

I love the last stanza, and really just wanted to share with you all my love for the USA.

(Incidentally, even though the Hubs is gone, we are doing fun things today like going to the beach with my Aunt and cousin's who are in town. And I couldn't help but dress my kids in red, white, and blue!! Now if only I had something patriotic to wear...!)

Until next time!

1 thoughts:

Katrina said...

Enjoyed the poem...